Friday, July 27, 2012

The Many Uses of Ivory

Every now and then i do these quick blog posts about something i like or something I do. I think my most recent was about Quaker soft oatmeal cookies. Today is about soap. Not just any soap mind you! its about the brand Ivory soap!
I got a bar from the influenster vox box I got one month. I tried it out.

one of the many uses which i have used with my momi is to make homemade laundry soap!  The Recipe is below. we have modified it some, but it still the basic same idea.

Also on a random whim one day. After I used my bar to wash my hands with for a couple day, I got this great idea. You see my new apartment had that wonderful fresh smell of paint...And the prego lady here, couldn't take it, so went Frebreeze happy. Which in turn, Hubby man came home and banned me from the Frebreeze sprayers. *sigh* so I dug into my boxes and brought out my candle warmer! Thrower a mason jar on top and scrapped a few shaving of Ivory soap and then a a few sprigs of dried lavender I had and presto! I have the lovely clean scent filling my home.

The Bar went back to the bathroom sink and makes nice clean hands. adn I even went out a bought 3 pack package for when I run out.


And I also the wrapper is even quite nifty to use when you cant find some bit of scrap paper to jot down that important bit of information when you are the phone!
There are many other uses, but these were the ones I used it for. :) until another day. :)

Toodles



Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

  • 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap or Ivory soap, shaved
  • 4 cups of hot water to melt the soap
  • 3 gallons of hot water
  • 1 cup of borax
  • 2 cups of washing soda
  • 1 large Rubbermaid container about 4-5 gallons size
Here’s what you do:
Grate the soap into a saucepan. You can use either a box grater or a food processor for this. I recommend you do not use whatever tool you use for grating soap with food. I was able to buy an extra food processor very inexpensively at a thrift store.
Add 4 cups of hot water to the pan.  Simmer on low until the soap melts completely into the water.
Add borax, washing soda and baking soda to the hot water. Simmer on low until it desolves with the soap. If the mixture is not melting, add more water if needed.
Add 3 gallons of hot water to the large container. Add the mixture to the hot water. Mix with a large spoon until it
completely dissolves.
Let cool overnight.( or not because I would have not patience and mountain of laundry to do. :) You will notice that it turns into a thick gel. Use 1 cup of this homemade laundry detergent per load of laundry




This post and some testing purposes are for Influenster and Ivory as a participant in the Mom VoxBox campaign :) But i wasn't paid. I just got  a free bar of soap to test out. :)

1 comment:

  1. Search 1000s of job offers and find the best suitable position. Jobs near me from direct employers no agencies or jobs direct from top recruitment agencies & recruitment consultants. Send your job application to apply for a job with one click.

    if you want more just look here "jobs by firsearch"

    ReplyDelete