Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Branded Food

When did food become so commercial?...*sips from chai latte from Starbucks* I mean really, how has food become like the car you drive or the shoes on your feet? What happened to just eating when you are hungry? Food was just food.  Suddenly everyone is up in your business about what "brand" of food crossed your lips to your tummy.Like I said, it like shoes. If you wear a great brand people can tell you paid a pretty penny for them. The car you drive, fancy logo, nice paint job, people like your car.

Lets take Starbucks for example. Do people really like coffee that much? Or is the feeling of being hip and cool holding your Skinny Mocha Frappa Latte with two pumps no foam? Heck do you even know what you are drinking? Sure, I love my Chai Tea Latte with extra chai, from Starbucks, but I also make a great one at home. I didn't start going to Starbucks until everyone else was raving how awesome it is. Now if anyone shows up with generic gas station coffee people pity you for being broke or think your are tasteless fool who doesn't understand style. Don't you know your cup should sport a weird green woman logo?!

Maybe it is just me, but even water gets branded and fashionable. "Oh I don't like Target generic brand. It has odd taste. I only buy Figi Water. You know the one with the square shaped bottle?"
I would so be that person if asked, "What kind of water do you drink?" I would answer, "Uh, the drinkable kind?" followed by a blank stare. 
It kind of reminded me of the movie the Lorax, where a the evil company was trying to get people to buy bottled air. Its just air! But now its in a fancy bottle! Starbucks is just coffee! But you can now feel cool drinking coffee!.
So I leave you off with my random thoughts as I drink my Starbucks Chair Tea Latte with extra shot of Chai and feelng cool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment